Jesus Before Jesus
1) See 1 Samuel 16 – 1 Kings 2.
2) Elwell, W. A., & Beitzel, B. J. (1988). In Baker encyclopedia of the Bible (p. 1795 & 1059). Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House.
3) Terrien, Samuel. (2003). In The Psalms: Strophic Structure and Theological Commentary (p. 235-236). The Eerdmans Critical Commentary Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.
4) See Elwell, W. A., & Beitzel, B. J. (1988). In Baker encyclopedia of the Bible (p. 555). Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House. & Hahn, S. (Ed.). (2009). In Catholic Bible Dictionary (p. 696). New York; London; Toronto; Sydney; Auckland: Doubleday.
5) See Matthew 27:46 & Mark 15:34.
The Family Expositor | Philip Doddridge
6) The Old Testament is another story. There are many references to Poole and Henry throughout the Old Testament, which may mean that Doddridge’s New Testament was Edwards’ go to commentary, and when he could not solve something with it, then he moved on to Poole and Henry.
7) See the document here.
The Case For Conscience
8) I am indebted to C.S. Lewis for this analogy in the first chapter of his Mere Christianity.
9) I heard this argument from a friend who read it in Tim Keller’s Reason for God.